Thursday, July 17, 2008

IELTS essay writting: Part 1

If you decided on an opinion essay, give it a proper structure.

1) Introduction is a must. You don’t believe you could get a good grade without introduction, do you?
2) 3 paragraphs are also necessary – three is a magical number. It can do wonders to your overall band score.
3) Conclusion. You do not want to infuse your examiner with a feeling of incompleteness.

First of all, you should not wander off trying to find ideas in the darkest parts of your mind.We will get some obvious hints right from the assignment.

About three paragraph if the product is about a product:
Introduction – topic and opinion in short(Simply speaking, let’s rewrite the assignment).
Paragraph 1 - staff working conditions are important
Paragraph 2 - employers should research and improve the working conditions
Paragraph 3 - concentrating more on their product is bad
Conclusion – short summary of paragraphs

Now we have to rephrase our ideas. And this is the hardest part to me as we have to use our vocabulary. so nothing we can do but remember some basic expressions. If you get stuck, just write down whatever comes to your mind looking at the key words of the assignment.

Example:
research: analyze, explore, inquire, investigate, look into, study
marketing: advertising, promoting, pushing products
working condition: situation, state, work load
stress at work: pressure, nervous tension, difficulty, hardness, strain
ignore: disregard, do not take into account, close the eyes to
employers: managers, bosses
staff work: force, personnel, employees
concentrate on the product: consider closely, direct attention, fix attention, focus, give attention
do a lot of damage to overall productivity
friendly environment

To make a paragraph we have to follow some rules like,
The first rule - KEEP IT AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE
Be practical – simple ideas come easy and take less effort to develop.
Don’t be tempted to amaze your examiner with profound knowledge of slang, idioms and pedantic words.

The second rule – DEVELOP YOUR PARAGRAPHS
A good paragraph must have
1) Topic sentence (statement)
2) Arguments – 3 arguments advisable, each followed by
3) Supporting details
4) Transition words and markers

I could arrange it in order of development steps.  
THE WORST  :
I am ugly (only statement, undeveloped - no arguments, no supporting details).
 
SLIGHTLY BETTER  :
I am ugly. I am old, bald and untidy (statement, 3 arguments, no supporting details)
 
MUCH BETTER  :
Statement - I am ugly.
Argument1 - I am old.
Supporting detail 1 - I was born before the World War II.
Argument 2 - I am bald.
Supporting detail 2 - You could see your reflection in the top of my head.
Argument 3 - I am untidy.
Supporting detail 3 - I have dirty marks all over my clothes.

Summary
(The gaps are here to be filled in with additional words that make your writing smooth or cohesive.)
… I am ugly. … I am old. I was born before the World War Two. … I am bald. You could see your reflection in the top of my head. … I am untidy. I have dirty marks all over my clothes.
 
THE BEST  :
(transition words and markers added)
In my opinion, I am ugly. First of all, I am old. I was born before the World War II. Secondly, I am bald. You could see your reflection in the top of my head. Finally, I am untidy. I have dirty marks all over my clothes.

Timing issues and MY ESSAY:
Time you will spend on each paragraph depends on your ability to produce consistent chunks of text approximately 50 – 70 words in length. The words left to build up a 250 word essay might be divided between the introduction and conclusion. In my case it takes about 7-8 minutes per paragraph.

No comments:

search engine

Custom Search